Wednesday, April 17, 2019

The Benefits of Being an Octopus by Ann Braden

The Benefits of Being an OctopusThe Benefits of Being an Octopus by Ann Braden
My rating: 5 of 5 stars

I heard so much about this book; but Jennifer Lagarde's recommendation on twitter made me jump up and get it at the library. Oh did my heart ache for Zoey's life; her mother's constant boyfriends meant moving a lot. With super neat Lenny as the latest boyfriend, Zoey goes from thinking the trailer they live in with him and his father is the best to being the worst. Lenny abuses Zoey's mom verbally, he plays with her mind (which makes her cry and shrink into herself) and then she begins to change too. But it is when Zoey becomes involved in debate club and her friend, Fuschia needs her help; Zoey must dig deep----be an octopus---using all eight of her arms to see she must take control of her life; her mom, her friend, and her brother and sisters in order to save them and while she is saving them, she becomes stronger, a better friend and daughter, and begins to believe in herself. I loved Zoey so much; I ached for her when she doubted herself (which was often) and I rooted for her to achieve a better life. Readers will be empathetic as they read about class, bullying, and guns and a heroine you won't soon forget. A must read for all middle schoolers, school counselors, parents---this unfortunately is a very disturbing but true reality for many kids. Highly recommended!

View all my reviews

No comments: