Friday, June 7, 2019

The Astonishing Color of After by Emily X. R. Pan

The Astonishing Color of AfterThe Astonishing Color of After by Emily X.R. Pan
My rating: 5 of 5 stars

I read this APALA Honor Award Winner as part of the 2019 HUB Reading Challenge and oh was this an aching read but oh so very necessary as magical realism permeates to help teen Leigh (Asian/White heritage) deal with the suicide of her depressed mom. Leigh "sees" her mother become a bird that leads Leigh on a life changing journey to find her mother and in this search, she learns about her history, heritage, and how grief helps her comes to term with who she and wants to be. I had a really great review---BUT my computer seized and I lost it!!!
So short and sweet--the compelling, strong character of Leigh and her love of art power this tale of heartbreak and finding heritage, history and love in her search for answers. I could not put this book down; I rooted for Leigh and best friend Axel (best friend and lover of art and music). The trip to Taiwan opens Leigh to discovering her parents' past, meeting her grandparents, and forging a future without her mother. A powerful, astonishing journey; a must read!

View all my reviews

No comments: