Monday, June 17, 2019

The Tatooist of Auschwitz by Heather Morris

The Tattooist of Auschwitz (The Tattooist of Auschwitz, #1)The Tattooist of Auschwitz by Heather Morris
My rating: 5 of 5 stars

I loved Lale and his deep abiding love for Gita during the horrors of WWII in the concentration camps of Auschwitz and Birkenau. As prisoner, Lale promises himself to survive the horrors of the camps, the inhumanity of the soldiers, doctors, and leaders horrifies and scares Lale but does not stop him from helping his fellow prisoners. As the tattooist, Lale gets more food and hides his trades for food, jewels, etc in order to help his fellow prisoners. I could not stop turning the pages as the disgust and sadness I fought against as I read each atrocity kept me awake at night. Author Morris passes on the information Lale provided to her after Gita dies. This was a saga of enduring abiding love during a horrible time when you did not know if you would survive from day to day, of man's inhumanity to man---but Lale summoned courage and helped others and fought for Gita's life. The times Lale and Gita could meet, their love was deep and consumed with survival. I especially liked the information Heather Morris provides at the end about their life after genocide, an afterword by their son Gary was especially poignant. Highly recommended.

View all my reviews

No comments: