Saturday, September 28, 2019

Anger Is a Gift by Mark Oshiro

Anger Is a GiftAnger Is a Gift by Mark Oshiro
My rating: 4 of 5 stars

I read this debut book since I had seen this title on many lists and recommendations from bloggers, like Pernille Ripp. This is an urban fiction book with many diverse characters; I thought of the many diverse students in my high school and was reminded of many students and their friendships, circles, and culture. I rooted for Moss, he suffers from panic attacks and a sense of foreboding and negativity due to seeing his father shot as a youngster. His friends were all supportive of Moss as he was of them and I was so happy and surprised by his mother's unwavering love and support. The police situation and the school's attitude were unnerving and I questioned the awfulness but so much coverage in the news makes it a sickening reality and ripped from the headlines news coverage. Especially important to read is Moss's mom and her advice about Anger- "Anger is a gift. Remember that.You gotta grasp on to it, hold it tight and use it as ammunition. You use that anger ti get things done instead of just stewing in it. Trust me, y'all."

View all my reviews

No comments: