Thursday, October 17, 2019

The Dutch House by Ann Patchett

The Dutch HouseThe Dutch House by Ann Patchett
My rating: 5 of 5 stars

I loved listening to Tom Hanks superlative narration of The Dutch House by Ann Patchett. I live very close to Elkins Park, and my best friend in high school lived in Jenkintown; so any mention of places in and around this area brought back fond memories. And since my father was in real estate, I understood intimately how Danny's Dad made his living. I really loved the story but I despised Danny and Maeve's Dad for his distant role in their lives. I could not fathom why a house (that particular house) would chase away their mother. She left a husband, 2 children, and a house filled with staff because she hated the house and even worse wanted to go help people in the world---I did not once ever think she was a saint (I was on Danny's side). Maeve almost dies when her mother leaves, she misses her so much she goes into a deep depression. I loved the way brave, brash Maeve took over the role of mother to Danny. It was the insinuation of Andrea and later her marriage (and her 2 children) to their father that really rocks their world. When their father dies tragically ---Andrea boots them out of the house (also the staff) and Maeve once again becomes Danny's mother/guardian. The adversarial relationship between Maeve and Celeste was just awful; and so difficult for Danny. It was very difficult to read how much their past life affected their future, Patchett's writing was stark and unflinching; themes of family, grief, what is home, memory, and conflict permeate as we see//listen to both Danny and Maeve's perspective. This book kept me rooted from beginning to end; an uncomfortable spine tingler---I wanted so much more for Danny and Maeve.

View all my reviews

No comments: