Monday, December 23, 2019

We Set the Dark on Fire by Tehlor Kay Mejia

We Set the Dark on Fire (We Set the Dark on Fire, #1)We Set the Dark on Fire by Tehlor Kay Mejia
My rating: 5 of 5 stars

I had no idea this was the beginning of a new series!!! I loved the narration by Kyla Garcia, the strong and multifaced character, Dani, who must never let anyone know where she really came from; even more intriguing was the inner dialog from Dani as she shed or donned her faces---she was such a winner at graduation she lands the highest role, Primera, to the highest ranking political family while also having to deal with her enemy, Carmen, being chosen as the Segunda (the wife who bears the children) in the Garcia home. I bit my nails as Dani spied for La Voz and at the same time warred with hating and being fearful while wanting to do so much more to help with the movement. The characters were all so interesting; Medio was a place of magic and beauty but there were so many who suffer under harsh government control, a wall, and lives lost due to no medicine or hospitals. I was not entirely sure about Carmen and their insta-friendship. She made 5 years of Dani's life hell, so I am going to wait until the 2nd book and see what really continues for Dani and Carmen. An exciting, thrilling read!

View all my reviews

No comments: