Thursday, August 13, 2020

28 Summers by Elin Hilderbrand

28 Summers28 Summers by Elin Hilderbrand
My rating: 5 of 5 stars

I loved this book but did not love the way two wonderful people who should have been happy with each other their whole lives only had 1 Labor Day weekend each year. Yes Mallory and Jake agree to this but I felt it did a big big disservice to both of them, compromising their happiness, forcing lies and secrets! I did not like Mallory's supposed best friend, Leland. She was awful and when she becomes involved with another woman, her nasty character shines through. Also, I found it tedious that Jake stayed with Ursula for all the wrong reasons which he went over again and again. Yes Jake is honest with Ursula and tells her as an adult she is not a nice person, self-absorbed, cranky BUT he stays with her! Mallory never marries because she truly loves Jake and Jake truly loves Mallory so I was upset time and time again when Ursula was in the story, mucking things up. I cried at the end for Jake and Mallory but I was hopeful when Mallory's son meets Jake's daughter, I am rooting for those two to do something their parents did not! I loved the time Mallory and Jake spent together each Labor Day, the food, games and rituals they celebrated; I just wish they had a lifetime of each other, not just 28 Summers!

View all my reviews

No comments: