Tuesday, January 29, 2019

Only a Breath Apart by Katie McGarry

Only a Breath ApartOnly a Breath Apart by Katie McGarry
My rating: 5 of 5 stars

Love, love, love this book!!! I am such a Katie McGarry fan (look and see on my Goodreads---I have read all of her books!!!) and this book was such a great read--it tackles abuse and how it affects the characters, Jesse and Scarlett were authentic characters teens will relate to with the school drama, social cliques, family dysfunction, and hopes and dreams. I was captivated be the way Jesse, Glory and Scarlett love the natural land---Jesse's farm and his love of it was so poignant to read (loved the tribunal aspect!). More difficult to read was Scarlett's loss of Jesse's friendship and how it affects her; Jesse's (and others) belief in the family curse, and the abuse Jesse's mom (and Jesse and his grandmother) and the abuse in Scarlett's family (what is does to her mom, sister and Scarlett). I could not put this book down; I rooted for Jesse and Scarlett to make it, persevere, and grow with each other. McGarry's writing is beautiful, deep, and magical. Highly recommended! Teens will be passing this stand alone around---guys and girls will relate to Jesse and his friends (I loved V) and Scarlett and her friends. This book deals with so much more than romance; there is friendship, family, and Jessee and Scarlett's ability to change and grow, to be vulnerable and emotional, to forgive and hope for a future that includes survival and love. Highly recommended!

View all my reviews

No comments: