Monday, April 6, 2020

The Queen Bee and Me by Gillian McDunn

The Queen Bee and MeThe Queen Bee and Me by Gillian McDunn
My rating: 5 of 5 stars

I must admit I was getting really uncomfortable with Beatrix's meanness and her best friend, Meg's fear of getting on Beatrix's bad side because of a freeze out the year before middle school begins. But I also knew Gillian McDunn was spot on writing about the drama and bullying that can go on in friendships and middle school. With the introduction of Hazel as the new girl, Beatrix's anger and hostility knew no bounds, worse yet, her mother fanned the flames of keeping Hazel friendless. Readers young and old will see the real world in this book about friendship, being true to yourself, feeling alone (in the classroom, being bullied with words, actions, and buzzing). I was glad to see the different types of teachers represented in Meg's school- Ms Dupart, the advanced science teacher who does not put up with any student drama while a male teacher will not even listen to Meg as she tries to tell her teacher about the problem between Hazel and Beatrix (I found it interesting that Meg later realizes if she wanted to tell that teacher about boy problems, he would have listened and not shut her down while girl problems were DRAMA). I loved the way McDunn writes---the science project, Hazel and Meg's growing friendship (because they talk out problems, likes & dislikes, unlike with Beatrix) and Meg's supportive family. I rooted for Meg and was in awe of her speech about the positives of bees! A must read!

View all my reviews

No comments: