Wednesday, March 3, 2021

APlace to Hang the Moon by Kate Albus

A Place to Hang the MoonA Place to Hang the Moon by Kate Albus
My rating: 5 of 5 stars

I read this debut author awesome historical middle grade fiction as the final book I needed to read for my 2nd #BitAboutBooks Winter Reading Challenge for a book set in another country. I LOVED this book; the Pearce children won my heart, they were all heroes, and they were devoted to one another during such a scary time in London history with World War II and the approaching enemy. With the death of their grandmother, the three children are now orphans and her solicitor decides the best and safest place to be is with a group of children being evacuated away from London to the "safety" of the country. With William 12, Edmund 11, and Anna 9 they realize it is necessary for them to stay together but will pose a problem to find a home that will accept three children. I loved Kate Albus' characterizations; they were fleshed out- both the good and evil characters. There is humor as Edmund just can't control himself, tension as the children try to be the best occupants in each billet, and the psychological suspense with the highs and lows of wartime England and the children's secrets. Middle school readers will love the plot and setting as our three children yearn and try to find themselves A Place to Hang the Moon. The beauty and importance of family is superbly handled by Albus with each turn of the page! Highly recommended!

View all my reviews

No comments: