Friday, December 10, 2021

Frankie & Bug by Gayle Forman

Frankie & BugFrankie & Bug by Gayle Forman
My rating: 5 of 5 stars

Oh how I loved Gayle Forman's middle grade book! Bug looks forward to her summers at the beach with her brother, Danny while her mom works for the mayor's office. But during this summer of 1987, there is a serial killer on the loose in California. Now Bug's summer has changed and she is so not happy about it. But with the arrival of Frankie, a few years older, Bug's summer expands. Dealing with cultural and social issues; the friendship of Bug and Frankie has many highs and lows. I loved Phillip, Bug's neighbor who is colorful, loves to cook, and calls his friends by their full names, no nicknames, thank you very much. Danny is a very supportive older brother, which Bug knows but she does not understand why they can't go to the beach everyday like they used to and why does he need to be called Daniel anyway? I loved seeing the Venice beach and characters through Bug's eyes and I cheered for Bug's demand to know what secrets her family is keeping from her. I could not stop turning the pages of this lush, lovely book that needs to be read by everyone.

View all my reviews

No comments: