Thursday, December 23, 2021

Harlem Shuffle by Colson Whtehead

Harlem ShuffleHarlem Shuffle by Colson Whitehead
My rating: 5 of 5 stars

Awesomely narrated by Dion Graham; I loved Graham's many voices, his sighs, his pitch was totally perfect as he tells Ray Carney's life in Harlem in the 1960's. Ray grew up with a bad news father but he studied hard and graduated college, won the girl (much to her parent's dismay) and now owns a furniture shop. And while Ray would like to stay growing the furniture shop, things, like his cousin Freddy and white cops murdering a black boy causing riots that have Ray doing some side work that is questionable (but it will make money). I loved the colorful characters, Ray's somber humor, the mishaps and missteps thrown in Ray's way. But most of all, I loved the way Ray thought, he was able to wriggle out of the "bad stuff" with well thought out connections and scenarios. I loved the time period, the culture, and the tight community as well as the vibrant Harlem life. A must read!

View all my reviews

No comments: