Sunday, January 17, 2021

These Violent Delights by Chloe Gong

These Violent DelightsThese Violent Delights by Chloe Gong
My rating: 5 of 5 stars

Wow, such a compelling read; I could not put this book down; so many great reviews had me push it to the top of my TBR list and I am so glad I did! I read this as part of #BitAboutBooks Winter Reading Challenge, Book set in Another Country, and oh was this Shanghai in the 1920s filled with gore, drama and chaos. Shanghai is a city being tugged at by 2 gangs, The Scarlets and The Whites, and now Russians are infiltrating and trying to unionize the workers in both gangs. Also there is a monster in the river that is making people tear out their own throats; following this mystery and how Juliette and Roma work together, despite their warring gangs, to save lives and end the monster. With the history of Shanghai, the scifi of the monster, I could not put this book down!!! I am trying to understand what the title means... but it is definitely one of my favorite series reads! There is so much visceral, deep seated hatred, anger, despair but also HOPE (in Juliette) and I am rooting for Juliette and Roma and can't wait to see what the next book brings. Highly recommended!

View all my reviews

No comments: