Wednesday, March 21, 2018

An Unkindness of Magicians by Kat Howard

An Unkindness of MagiciansAn Unkindness of Magicians by Kat Howard
My rating: 4 of 5 stars

I read this book for the 2018 HUB Reading Challenge and for the March twitter chat on AWARD WINNERS for #yearofya to be held Monday 3/26 at 8pm- there are so many book award winners from 2017- come share your titles with us! This amazing book won an Alex Award, the title really lets you know the dark side of magic that takes place in this book. I absolutely loved the strong female protagonist, Sydney- she suffered her way out of the Shadows and had a few plans for revenge, retribution, changing the Shadows & The Unseen World from their horrific practices. This is a Turning year and Sydney is elected champion for House Prospero and as she stormed her way to truth, she made many friends (always a few enemies) and works tirelessly to upend the Houses of Magic that have been taking from magic for years. That said---I hated the ending---that is why 4 star rating. I rooted for Sydney and Laurent and Ian, Grace, Harper, Madison, and Verenece; other than Sydney, there was resolution for all these good characters. I will just quote Sydney (p.348) to Ian "Magic was who I was. I felt it in my blood and bones, Ian. It was me, and now it's gone, and I don't know who the fuck I am anymore." "You'll figure it out," he said. "Who you are now. And I'd really like to stick around and see who that is if you'll let me." So, for all her plans, always having back-up plans, going against the world of magical dominance, what did she get??? I rooted for Sydney--she was someone who deserved a happy ending...

View all my reviews

No comments: