Wednesday, March 7, 2018

The Golden Compass by Philip Pullman

The Golden Compass (His Dark Materials, #1)The Golden Compass by Philip Pullman
My rating: 5 of 5 stars

I was just beginning my time as a librarian (1996) and Oh did I love this series with Lyra and Pantalaimon as Lyra's dæmon (they are bound to each other in her world)!!! Now listening to Philip Pullman's narration (with a cast of characters to help with the many voices) it was just so lush, divine, and exciting to listen as I drove to West Chester to watch my grandchildren. Pullman's voice was melodious, awesome & frightful. I loved the interplay of good characters ( Iorek Byrnison, Iofur Raknison, Lee Scoresby, Roger Parslow, Serafina Pekkala) and the evil characters (Mrs. Coulter and Lord Asriel). Lyra's & her daemon's voice were perfect and the adventures took her to many places, taught her how to lie, be a spy and further cemented that she was a very special child indeed with a legacy she must forge. If you like witches, magic, fantasies, series, this book begins and awesome series you can't put down (but sometimes the horror made me want to!!!) you must read how little Lyra rises to the challenge England and beyond!

View all my reviews

No comments: