Sunday, March 11, 2018

The Subtle Knife (His Dark Materials 2) by Philip Pullman

The Subtle Knife (His Dark Materials, #2)The Subtle Knife by Philip Pullman
My rating: 5 of 5 stars

I listened to this audiobook and author Philip Pullman does a masterful job as well as a full cast for the many characters in this saga and series. In this book, Lyra meets Will and another story line evolves but Will also becomes someone just as important to Lyra as Lee Scoresby, witch Serefina Pekkala, and physicist, Mary Malone. Will is searching for his father Commander Parry, and shows Lyra how to travel between worlds. There was much world building; specters, mean children, horrible Mrs. Coulter and her daemon continue to terrorize. I have a question, at the end of The Golden Compass, Lord Azriel reveals himself (to me at least) as just as awful a person as Mrs. Coulter when he takes Roger and splits him from his daemon (just as Mrs. Coulter is doing with the Gobblers) so why is Lord Azriel being held up as a man people want to help?!? I really did like the growing, fractious friendship of Lyra and Will and so want them to strike out and do good---but I feel the forces of evil are becoming too overwhelming to all involved, yikes!

View all my reviews

No comments: